¡Hola y buenos días!
It's likely that due to the crisis, over 40,000 bars and restaurants may have to close in Spain. Very sad news for the individuals who run and work in these establishments. One owner though wasn't going to let his restaurant disappear just like that. Miguel Justo, owner of El Lar in Bilbao, saw that he was going to have to close unless he found some way to generate revenue even while they were officially closed. Half-heartedly he announced the sale of €300 vouchers to be spent when the restaurant reopened, expecting that maybe 10 regulars at most would take up the offer. Imagine his surprise when he saw €30,000 in his bank account! Read all about it here:
As it's Friday, I'd like to share one of our writing challenges. These, along with our dictations, are sent to our Premium users every Friday, but today we are offering this writing challenge about going to the restaurant, for free:
If you have never tried one of our Writing Challenges before, here's some guidance:
- Don't think of it as translation, Writing Challenges are more like guided writing.
- Writing challenges are self-scoring exercises, meaning that for each phrase you’ll be offered corrections and alternatives to help you pinpoint your mistakes. Each line is marked out of 5 and we suggest taking off a point per mistake, but really the marking is up to you! For example, you decide how important punctuation and correct accentuation is, it's perfectly fine to be kind to yourself because you made a typo or pressed submit too soon!
- Pay attention to the hints! For example, if there are many synonyms for a word, or if you should use a specific verb, these are indicated here.
- It's not easy to translate natural-sounding English into natural-sounding Spanish, where the Spanish is significantly different to the English you will be given a literal translation in the hint.
- Once you’re done, you can read and listen to our suggested text in Spanish, and also see a list of grammar topics covered in the exercise, you can add these to your notebook(s).